Monday, September 13, 2010

Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays--Salmon

With lots of salmon in season, that's what we decided for a weekend supper with the family! Now to be honest with you, I'm not a big fish kind of person. I like it IF there is some other flavour along with it. I don't like the lemon juice and salt and pepper or oil idea for fish. I NEED flavour!!



After looking through a "fish" cookbook and knowing we wanted to do something on the grill, my hubby and I settled on Keoni's Island Broil by John P. Ko of Woodland, California from The Freshwater Angler America's Favourite Fish Recipes (1992, Creative Publishing Int'l).

But first was the tricky part: how to fillet a salmon. Of course, we had done our best up to this point, but this was going to be a "good" dinner. So we had to at least try to do it right! So. . . found this great tutorial site, titled "How to Fillet a Salmon." And it worked like a charm! Best fillet ever--barely any bones left in at all!



We made a marinade of 1/2 c. soy sauce, 1/4 c. port wine, H2O, brown sugar and sliced green onions (and chives), 4 cloves of garlic, 2 T. sesame oil, and 1 T. toasted sesame seeds. We took some out for a sauce later, and poured the rest over our salmon and covered it. It chilled in the fridge for the afternoon. Here was the tricky part--the marinade didn't smell all that great to me. It was just an odd combination. I thought this was going to be a flop, and there is nothing worse that having yucky fish for dinner. Well, eating liver or brussel sprouts might be worse, but yucky fish is still up there on the list. I was nervous.

Then after oiling the grill, we started the grilling. . .only to find out that our propane was empty. So much for grilling!



So. . .back in the house and in the oven on a low broil. I basted it a few times with the marinade. . .and suddenly the marinade started to smell really good! I was getting less nervous. And then, voila! Here is the end result:

We ate it with mashed potatoes, salad and cut veggies. It was super! And I highly recommend this recipe. The marinade kinda becomes a glaze on the fish. And it smells wonderful! :)


See more at BlessedWithGrace and At the Well this week!
Also see Tasty Tuesdays!

No comments: