Thursday, January 28, 2010

Snowman Snowglobes

A recent art project. . . the idea came from a colleague a {few} years back at my LCS days.
For a couple of years, we made crayon directed drawings of snowmen (or penguins for some students) and did a white wash (white paint watered down that will resist the crayon drawing--used for snow) over it. One year since I did a spray snow (store-bought snow intended for decorating windows) over this as well, just to change it up. One of my colleagues had this great idea to make these snowmen creations into snow globes. So. . .here is how I did it this time around.
(Please take note: at the grade one level, it might be wise to have parent helpers around or have the time to work one-on-one with each student if they are going to be involved in the wrapping of the plastic!)

Above is the finished globe. Below are a few of the finished ball part of the globes. You can kind of see and example of the drawings and the "wash" in this photo.
Here are some of the supplies--for after the snowman directed-drawing is completed and the wash is done--I'm assuming you know what to do for that.
We took a piece of Saran Wrap, put in a few snowflakes, and turned the snowman picture onto it.
Then we glued a circle around the back side, and taped the extra plastic wrap down. This just makes it not so bulky for the next step. . .which is putting glue on the back and putting it onto a background paper. I also cut out "bases" (the yellow part on the bottom) for the students to place their snow globes on, to make it look a little more real (see very top photo). These need to be pressed down well under books or heavy objects to keep them flat as they dry.
If your plastic wrap and snowflakes are not too static-y, the snowflakes should be able to shake around inside the snow globes.
These are going into our Grade One Scrapbooks, so we did some writing to go along with it. The students were asked to write a small story about the character in their snow globe. We talked about introducing our character, having a problem, and solving it. This is their first try at stories, so they are pretty rough. :) The first example here is a student who is somewhat low and also struggles with some speech. You can see the invented spelling this student is using. (But look at those great finger-spaces and neat printing!!!)
This student is quite capable of writing. (Note that these pieces were not edited by myself or peers. It was all student-writing and self-correcting at this point.) Sorry, no completed projects (art and writing together) yet. Hopefully that will be added soon!

No comments: