Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Words from Wednesday (Devotional)

At the End of the Year

It’s the end of the school year. Things are winding down. I’ve collected all the assignments and projects. I've written some grades and comments on the report cards. I’ve made my page of ideas to help the students continue learning over the summer. I’ve made my "memories bookmark" for each student. In just a few short days, this school year will be over.

As I was thinking about this, I’m hoping and praying that the things that I have taught my students won’t all get lost in the busyness of summer or float off in the warm breeze or splash away in the oceans and pools. I’m hoping some of it sticks with them.

I am reminded of Jesus and his disciples. He invested so much time into teaching them about His Father: about His grace and His love. He taught them using the Scriptures and parables; as they sat to eat and as they walked about. Teaching, teaching, teaching. If any one wanted what he was teaching to stick, it was Jesus! I think of the many times He had to sit back and re-explain his teachings and the teachings they grew up with. Or tell His disciples that they were thinking of their own agendas, not God’s plan. Or tell His mother, Mary, that His time for glory had not yet come.

I wonder if He had moments like this—where He prayed everything would just stick with them. That they would get it. That they would have grown because He had invested in His disciples.

They must have finally gotten it, because He sent them out to tell the rest of the world that same message for which He had even come to the world. “Then Jesus came to them and said, `All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.’” (Matthew 28:18-20)

So now, at the end of the school year, when I am thinking of what will stick with my students, I am reminded of my great God who sent out the disciples with confidence that His salvation message would spread to all nations. I am reminded of my God who said to His chosen Israelites, “Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip form your hearts as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them . . . so that they may learn to revere me as long as they live in the land and may teach them to their children.” (Deuteronomy 4:9-10) and He still says this to us today. I am reminded of a God who has His Holy Spirit working in the hearts and minds of the people who hear His saving message and believe. And I praise God that His message sticks.

Other passages to read: John 8:31, John 14:23-27, and 2 Thessalonians 2:13-17


*I found this poem at a site available to teachers. It's a little "gushy", but I thought I would share anyway.

This Hand I Hold

This hand I hold I touch it now
For all eternity,
And the knowledge that I share
I give from me to you.

In hope that all you do and say
Reflects the lessons learned,
And all the awards that you receive
Are ones that you have earned.

I am your present teacher
And your true friend,
But when the year is over
My thoughts of you won't end.

For in my dearest memory
Forever you will be,
And when you go I hope that you
Will take a part of me.

This hand I hold I touch it now
For all eternity,
And the knowledge that I share
I give from me to you.
(Poem found at
http://www.canteach.ca/elementary/songspoems56.html)

No comments: