Thursday, March 26, 2009

Reading 365 Children's Books


I have a confession to make. I’m slightly addicted to blog-surfing. Don’t point fingers—you are probably just the same as me!

But sometimes it is not all bad. I recently found a blog belonging to a mom who was reading 365 books to her preschooler—reading the 365 books all kids should read by the time they started kindergarten. I was quite intrigued by this idea (being a teacher AND a mom of a preschool-aged child). And of course, I could never find her blog again. If it is you, let me know!!! You had a great blog and book list!!!

But I did do a little researching on the program, or at least ones similar to it. The point of most of these programs is to get you and your child reading together. Each day, read for 20 minutes with your child to give him or her the best start in life. In doing so, you are giving your child skills that include: oral communication, fine motor skills, counting skills, letter sense, letter and word recognition, exposure to the world around them, and the sheer enjoyment of words, pictures, and books. That, of course, only names a few. There are many more great reasons to read together. (Hmm. . .any rainy days lately? A little cabin fever? sure makes the day pass by a little quicker!)

So . . . here are a few sites for you. My goal in my searching was to find the 365 book list that I saw on this blog. I never found it but I found a few other places and books lists to use. (so, any one out there, if you know what I am talking about or are using this list, PLEASE let me know!!!)

This first one, Read 365! is a campaign from out of Pittsburgh. It has a great Brochure that gives a few reading ideas and tips. It give some fun ideas to make reading fun at many age levels! As well, if you go to the link “Get Books” and then click on “Collect Quality Books,” there are a bunch of recommended books to read.

The second one, Grow Up Reading, is the same type of thing. This sight was really great because it gives you a monthly plan to follow from the age of preschool through grade three (Yep, they did the work for you--you just have to follow what it says!). For example, at the preschool level there is a list of 100 suggested books to read as well as a weekly idea for each month. At the grade three level there are a fewer books, but more ideas on how to teach various reading strategies.

So, there you have it: If you want to play a role in helping your child succeed, here are a few more ideas to add to your repertoire. Please feel free to comment and add your ideas, advice, and so forth to the mix! (photo from here)

No comments: