Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sunflower Art

I can't take credit for this idea, but I can post the great job my students did! Back in my Lynden Christian School days, I was introduced to this project by the team of first grade teachers I had the privilege of working with. My mentor teacher (from my rookie year of teaching) was extremely talented in the area of art and also LOVED it. This idea came from her, and all the first grade classes followed her example.
Pretty much. . .we spend a day learning about sunflowers, looking at pictures, looking at a real sunflower and looking at Vincent Van Gogh's sunflower portraits. Then we did a directed drawing activity with sunflowers. And then we paint them. The tricky part, I find, at grade one is the blending of colours! It's amazing though. . .once they are all cut out and piled on a background as shown above, they look absolutely gorgeous!

No comments: