Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Words from Wednesday (Devotional)

Un-understandable

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that previals." Proverbs 19:21 NIV

(written but not posted from last week)

I did some reflecting in the last two weeks about how un-understandable God is.

Two weeks ago, my sister learned of a woman in her church whose husband was killed by a drunk driver. While I've only had a handful of conversations with this woman, my sisters and many of my friends are close to both her and her young family. What an unexpected and tragic event. Right now there is an entire church community grieving over the loss of a wonderful, Christian man.

A week or so ago, I was able to attend the Steven Curtis Chapman and Michael W. Smith United Concert. Aside from having GREAT seats at an AWESOME concert, Steven Curtis Chapman talked about finding hope in God after the loss of his 5 year old daughter in a car accident just over a year ago. He spoke about his journey and sang a "Blessed Be Your Name." He came to the conclusion that God and His ways might be even more of a mystery to him these days, but he is continuing to serve his Saviour. Right now there is someone proclaiming a God of Hope to millions of people.

Last week was the "anniversary" of the day my father-in-law passed away quite suddenly from a stoke. We went out to dinner together to spend time together as a family and to remember what a great husband and father my better half's dad was. We laughed over some memories and talked about some of the weird mannerisms he had. And right now, I am seeing God's faithfulness to people whose lives have been touched by the affects of sin.

I thought about Job, a man who was plunged into a series of terrible events that robbed him of his family and friends and health. But it never robbed him of his God and he remained faithful, refusing to curse God for the bad things happening in his life. In the end he recognized that God is powerful and mighty; that He has a plan that we are part of, but don't understand. It's a plan that we will never understand, but we do need to choose, as Job did, to follow God even when life seems so un-understandable. What a powerful testimony Job leaves for us as followers of that same God. What a powerful testimony the above individuals leave for all to see and learn from.

One song that Steven Curtis Chapman sings is called God is God. He sang it at the concert, and it has a powerful message about the awesome God we serve and who deserves our praise even in circumstances we do not understand. All of us have situations in our life that we don't understand, whether they are small disappointments or tragic events. But we serve a God who knows about each of them, and is working things out for the good of those who love Him. (Romans 8:28)

And the pain falls like a curtain
On the things I once called certain
And I have to say the words I fear the most
I just don't know

And the questions without answers
Come and paralyze the dancer
So I stand here on the stage afraid to move
Afraid to fall, oh, but fall I must
On this truth that my life has been formed from the dust

God is God and I am not
I can only see a part of the picture He's painting
God is God and I am man
So I'll never understand it all
For only God is God

And the sky begins to thunder
And I'm filled with awe and wonder
Til the only burning question that remains
Is who am I

Can I form a single mountain
Take the stars in hand and count them
Can I even take a breath without God giving it to me
He is first and last before all that has been
Beyond all that will pass

Oh, how great are the riches of His wisdom and knowledge
How unsearchable for to Him and through Him and from Him are all things

So let us worship before the throne
Of the One who is worthy of worship alone

(Lyrics found at http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/s/steven_curtis_chapman/god_is_god.html)

Other verses to read: Isaiah 49:16, Isaiah 49, Job 40-41, Job 42:1-6, Proverbs 19:21

No comments: