Monday, August 24, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

It's Monday again. . .
Last week was a good one and I took advantage of the weather and my few short weeks left before its back to work, so we didn't eat all I planned. Oh well. That's just how it goes sometimes.

This week, I'm going to try something new. See, I've been growing this garden. It helps to get my son eating veggies, because he "helps" me in the garden. So, in turn, he needs to eat the vegetables that he grew. It doesn't always work, but I try. Anyway, I grew some butternut squash. My hubby said he remembered his mom making squash, so we should try it. But now, he has no clue what she ever did with it or if he even liked it! I'm gonna try some soup this week. I remember going to a restaurant once and having it, and loving it (which is a big deal for me to love soup!!!) so, hopefully the recipe I chose is a good one! And, I'm gonna try make calzones. Again, had them at restaurants before, but never made them. Hopefully all turns out well. . .

Monday- Tacos (on taco chips, not shells) and fixings
Tuesday-Butternut Squash Soup. My choice is between the cinnamon one and the curried one. Hmm. . .what to choose. . .the first one?
Wednesday-Calzones (BBq Chicken) with this crust maybe?, salad
Thursday (CP Day)- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff, noodles, corn
Friday (OAMC)-Moroccan Chicken, rice, beans
Saturday's Snack-Apple Crisp (see below)
Sunday (BFS)-Omelette's

So. . .my hubby picked some corn from his uncle and aunt's farm. His aunt offered him some apples. They were better for cooking, not apple sauce. So, he jumped on the offer because he LOVES apple crisp!!! His favourite is the one from the Purity Cookbook--from ages ago! I found this one on the web (it has a nice picture!!), but its not the one I make. So. . .here is what my (okay, my mom's) Purity Cookbooks says (or at least the recipe card I copied down 10+ years ago):

The condensed recipe-card version of:

Apple Crisp
Preheat oven to 375F. Grease 1-1/2 quart square baking dish.
Cream: 1/3 c. butter and 1-1/4 c. brown sugar
Stir in: 2/3 c. flour and 1/4 c. cinnamon.
(Here is the VERY important step for my hubby: instead of using the above direction, you make it the "Crispy Apple Crunch Recipe and stir in 1/3 c. flour, 2/3 c. rolled oats, and 1/4 c. cinnamon).
Arrange in dish: 6 peeled and sliced apples. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Bake in oven for 4o minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden. Serves 6.

So. . .enjoy your week. I'll let you know how my cooking adventures go!

No comments: