Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Apple-Blackberry Dessert

'Tis the season for Barbecues. . .LOVE that!
So to the most recent one we went to, I brought dessert. My hubby loves Apple Crisp, my daughter loves anything sweet, and my son. . .he's not a huge sugar fan. Weird, huh?
I tried this recipe--Apple-Blackberry Dessert--for the first time. I knew my company was pretty forgiving if it didn't go well. ;)
The recipe came from here

Apple Blackberry Crisp

Ingredients:
Filling
3 Mutsu apples. peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes ~I just used an assortment of apples, and that worked just fine as well.
1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries (or raspberries or strawberries) (250 ml)
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar (125 ml - 175 ml)
2 tablespoons cornstarch (30 ml)
Grated zest of 1 orange ~This was a nice touch--had never done that before.

Topping
1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (125 ml)
1/4 cup flour (60 ml)
1/3 cup cold butter, cut into chunks (75 ml)
1/3 cup brown sugar (75 ml)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (2 ml)
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg (1 ml)
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup almonds, chopped (60 ml) ~I didn't add any of these. . .not huge nut fans in the house, but it didn't take away from the topping, in my humble opinion.
Butter, for baking dish

Directions

Filling
1.In a large bowl combine all filling ingredients and toss to blend.

Topping
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.Put the oats, flour, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Work mixture together with fingers until it resembles coarse meal. Add almonds and blend well.
3.Butter an 8 by 8 inch baking dish with butter. Pour apple filling into dish and mound topping over filling, covering it completely. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until bubbly and golden.

Here is the pre-cooked delight. . .
And my son wasn't so big on blackberries--just in case he didn't like them. So I made a regular Apple Crisp as well.
Mmm. . .in the oven. . .

And no picture of it on a plate. . .it was all gone before I even thought about it!
So. . .I think that means it went over pretty good! Little whipped cream or a little ice cream (the french vanilla kind, of course. . . mmm). . .it was delish!

No comments: