Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Making Applesauce

It's not too late to be Tuesday still, is it?
This is "harvest" season.
For us--me--that means applesauce season.
I tried something new this year. Applesauce in a crock pot. I figured if there was something easier than the way I usually make applesauce, I was going to figure it out.
I used this recipe, from the "Crock Pot Lady." I love her blog and have used many of her recipes before, so I figured this one was worth a try as well.
So, I cut my apples. . .with an apple cutter because you need to core and peel them.
Then put the slices in the crockpot with the cinnamon, brown sugar, water, lemon juice, and vanilla. This was where I was beginning to get nervous because when I make applesauce the good old fashioned way, I just use apples. . .maybe a little sugar and cinnamon when serving it, but otherwise just apples.
See how beautiful it looks in the crockpot (above), and also when it is done (below)? After about 5 hours or so, I took my potato masher and made the apples into sauce. It was chunkier than when I make it otherwise, but I thought it was good.
The part I didn't like about it was the vanilla. My kiddos did not like that "flavour" in it either. So, I made another batch the next day, using apples and water.
Yep, that is all. No extra flavouring.
Then I mixed the two together.
And then it tasted wonderful.

Was it easier than the way I usually do it?
Hard to say. When I do it otherwise, I have a system going of washing, coring and cutting, boiling, and using the mill. Put the applesauce into jars for canning or into containers for the freezer and there you go.
The crockpot way there is not as much washing, still coring, AND peeling, but then there is no milling, but some easy mashing. But you can't keep doing this for three or four hours straight as I only have one crock pot (which is a blessing and a con, I suppose.)
They rate pretty evenly to me. The best part is the smell. Yum-yum. But the best-est part is being done. And cleaned up afterwards. And sitting on the sofa, enjoying the smell.
This, of course, must be qualified by the fact that I don't own a KitchenAid. No such luxury in this kitchen. When my hubby and I first got married, and it was a joy to spend time with me, he would help and we had one of those old cone shaped funnels with the wooden club-like tool. So a mill is definitely moving up in the world, but it is no KitchenAid. I may have jealousy issues over those who may have one. :)
Here is my little a, enjoying an apple. You should have seen the drool this caused him. It was great! And now that he is actually eating solids, sometimes I just take a pan, boil a cut up apple for a bit, mash it up, and then he has applesauce. This is a small commitment--one apple at a time. I just have to pay attention to what is one the stove for a bit.
My E had to get involved too. He loves using the mill with me. . .for a short time. . .before I put on a show because I just want the kiddos out of the kitchen. He also helped out by writing "2010" on the top and "apple" on some of them. Of course, he snuck his name on a few too. It's amazing the places he sneaks his name onto. (The best is on coupons--so I have to explain what the coupon says to the person at the checkout and explain my child's obsession with writing his name everywhere!) Thanks E!
And that is applesauce season in our home!
For more tempting ideas, visit Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays.

3 comments:

wacki04@TheKing'sCourt IV said...

I love canning and this is definitely that time of the year! Great job with the applesauce!

Thanks for stopping by What's Cooking Wednesday! Hope to see you again next week :)

Turning the Clock Back said...

I love homemade applesauce but am terrified of canning so I stick mine in the freezer!

Thanks for stopping by What's Cooking Wednesday! Hope you link up with us again next week!

Diane

Dykstras said...

Okay, when you are posting again?? I've read about applesauce making 4 times. I miss hearing your "voice"!!!! Love ya.