Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Words from Wednesday (Devotional)

Creation

One of the things I love about my hubby is the way he loves nature. Long, long ago, I remember that we had gone on a hike into the mountains. I was very new to the area so I loved all the adventures we went on. At one point, we steered off of the pathway, out of the trees and mulch and moss, and came to an open creek. It was flowing very quickly and was surrounded by huge rocks. He just sat down on one of those rocks and breathed in and out and said, "Isn't this great? This is perfect!" He just sat there. Looking. Listening. That is all he did.

Well, to me that is all he did. See, you have to understand that I was always that nerdy type--the one who studied and learned things from books. I have always appreciated nature, but not the way he did. When he sat there, he was really doing much more than just sitting there. Now that I know better, this experience reminded me of the song, "Creation Calls" by Brian Doerksen. He gives many examples of the things in nature that my husband would just sit and enjoy. Wind blowing, rain falling, singing birds, mighty trees. And then he sings: How could I say there is no God? When all around creation calls!!
And then there was one line that I think I had missed out on up until this point. Doerksen goes on to sing: I feel your presence there.

I am thankful that my husband has taught me a thing or two about taking in God's creation, and not just seeing it. He has helped me to know God through the glory and beauty we are surrounded by, not just by the things I have been taught or the things I have learned. He has taught me what it means to "behold," and its is not something you can learn from a book. Part of enjoying God's creation is knowing and feeling God through your interactions with His created world.

Bible verse to look up: Genesis 1-2, Psalm 104, Psalm 19:1-6, Romans 1:19-20 & Colossians 1:15-17

Application:
My kids and I went looking for creation again. We like to do that. This creation was just in our back yard though. And it helped us realize that God is everywhere. And that God gives us an opportunity to know and feel Him everywhere.

No comments: